There are times in your life when things are going well and you’re feeling great. And other times when life can feel like a struggle. These times may be keeping you stuck.
One of the easiest traps I see my clients fall into is wishing, hoping, trying or striving to make something or someone change so they feel better.
For example, once I climb to the top of my company, then I will feel secure, respected and successful.
Or, once I find my beloved, then I will feel loved and complete.
In either case, we give our power over to outside sources in hopes “this”, “that” or “they” will take care of our emotional needs.
If we are successful, we may feel better for a while, but it won’t last. After time, we are left feeling frustrated, disappointed, lonely and empty once again.
That’s because we have no control over anything outside of ourselves. Our power is within us.
Most of us are not even aware we are doing this. We are so in the story of our life, we actually think our situation is real…that once I get X, Y or Z, then I will be happy.
Like going for the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow, this is just an illusion.
Take a moment right now and think of something or someone you have been struggling with for some time. Maybe it’s a partner, a successful career or better health, for example. Maybe you are exhausted from juggling SO MUCH in your life you’re left feeling exhausted…maybe even frustrated.
Your struggle, frustration and exhaustion is happening because you’re wishing something or someone outside of you would change so you could feel more happy and fulfilled.
Happiness is within you! Instead of trying to change your circumstances and the world around you to feel happy, what if you focused on something within your power instead?
- Expand your heart by appreciating what you have. Make a list of five or ten things you are grateful for, like the roof over your head or the food in your kitchen.
- Reach out. Ask for and receive help or support from those around you.
- Do something just for the fun of it…something creative in the kitchen, silly like watching a romcom, soothing like taking a bath, or full-bodied like putting on some great music and dancing or taking a nap.
- Stop reacting to your triggers and fears. Learn to consciously respond from an empowered place instead.
- Refuse to go into negativity, martyrdom, worry, victim or blame.
Your power is within you. When you take 100% responsibility for creating your own happiness, that’s true empowerment that can never be taken away.
Please reach out if you’d like some support.
Are you ready to create the life you long for? The first step is to discover the exact things that are keeping you stuck.